Sea Lice V Engadine Round 4

18 May 2019


Despite coming home with a wet sail, our beloved Sea Lice went down 26-21 in a Grand Final rematch against Engadine at the Lions’ home ground on Saturday.

Following a previously undefeated streak, the Lice came into the weekend’s match confident, yet cautiously aware of the threat posed by the Engadine side. With a few key personnel missing, and a number of key positions being filled by players still learning the finer points, it promised to be a tough match.

The first half started poorly for the Lice, with Engadine taking advantage of a gap in the defence to score just minutes after kick-off. The Lion’s continued to pile on the pressure, with tough defence and strong set-pieces (along with a few dubious refereeing decisions) making it difficult for North Cronulla to build any momentum.

Another try from a line-out set play saw Engadine take a 12-0 lead into half-time.

Unfortunately for our boys the second half began as the first had ended, with Engadine crossing for a converted try soon after the break. The boys continued to fights, however, but a Blue Card (concussion rule) to No. Eight Rhys Schreuder and a fourth try to Engadine looked to have put the game beyond doubt with 20 minutes remaining.

Or so many may have thought.

As if someone had flipped a switch, the Sea Lice forward pack came to life, using hard running and fast ball-turnover to mount pressure on the Engadine defence, resulting in a number of penalties in the Lions’ defensive 22. Finally, a short tap just metres out saw loose-head prop (and club Vice-president) shrug off the defence to score under the posts.

Invigorated, the boys continued the offence, with scrum-half Liam Holt scoring again just moments later. Now with the idea that the seemingly impossible may be possible after all, the Sea Lice pressed, and an Engadine yellow card presented an opportunity for a final assault.

Replacement full-back Dylan Rumsey pounced on an opportunity to score a (somewhat controversial) try, which was once again calmly converted by fly-half Lachlan Coffey, to bring the boys within five points.

Alas, it was not to be, with the full-time whistle signalling the end of what had been a valiant fight-back. A disappointing result, to be sure, but one which in some ways proves what this side is capable of going forwards.

In the best and fairest this week, one point went to captain Rhys Schreuder, two to try scoring front-rower Josh Yule, and three went to lock Harrison Williams after an enormous performance in both attack and defence.

A huge thanks as always to our supporters, particularly those who travelled out to watch us play, and we look forward to seeing you all at Forshaw Park next weekend for our clash with the Sydney Convicts.